Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Educational Technology Organizations - Reflective Blog Posting #2



Educational Technology Organizations

In my search for educational technology organizations that align with my vision and educational technology philosophy I found The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). Founded in 1979 ISTE is a source for professional development, knowledge generation, advocacy, and leadership innovation.
The definition of educational technology ISTE views is that technology used in education enables students to analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information and express ideas in compelling ways that will prepare them for the demands of the 21st century.
The purpose of ISTE is dedicated to bringing the voice of educators to policy makers regarding educational technology. Their mission is to improve education through technology which I feel is very important for the digital world that we live.

The George Lucas Education Foundation (GLEF) known as Edutopia views educational technology as education using technology to challenge and engages students using interactive technologies. I really like this foundation because I can sign up for free and have access to many tools and publications to help make use of technology in my classroom.
The mission of The George Lucas Educational Foundation is improving the K-12 learning process by documenting, disseminating, and advocating for innovative, replicable, and evidence-based strategies that prepare students to thrive in their future education, careers, and adult lives. (Source: http://www.edutopia.org/mission-vision)
The purpose of GLEF is to help change education into a place where students, teachers, administrators, and policy makers and the people they serve are empowered to change education to the 21st century of project-based learning where innovation is the rule, not the exception.
I will be accessing their website to stay up to date on information about educational technologies.  The resources are broken down by grade level and provide ways to interact with other instructors.

My definition of educational technology is the use of technology whether it is a computer, cell phone,iPad, blog, wiki, or any other type of technology that will help students create, and to use higher level thinking skills to solve problems. Educational technology can be used to enrich the curriculum to make it engaging and enjoyable for the students. I felt both the ISTE and GLEF organizations supported my definition and philosophy of educational technology. I would feel confident to use their resources to help my classroom, and students performance by creating, using, and managing technology enriched resources. 


Digital Concept Map
My Thoughts on Educational Technology





1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.