Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Blog Reflection #4 - Assessment


Electronic Portfolios

After reading the article "Electronic Portfolios as Digital Stories of Deep Learning" written by Helen C. Burrett, I realized that I related most with the principle that states, Assessment for learning should recognize the full range of achievements of all learners. Since there are different learning styles I don't feel that every student should be assessed the same way. With the increase of standardized testing which does not take different learning styles into account, there are students who are at a disadvantage before even starting the test. To use myself as an example, I have to deal with my test anxieties while taking tests. No matter how much of the information I know when I have a test in front of me I just can't seem to find the answers because my brain wants to shut down to the knowledge,my heart beats faster, and I have to take deep breaths to try to calm myself. If I am given different ways other than test taking to show my knowledge I normally excel in the assessment. Every student should have the same opportunity to shine in their assessments and not cater to one or two learning styles.

In my opinion there are advantages to using portfolios for assessment. In using portfolios for assessment, students will have ownership over the work they have created and they will have the ability to use their specific learning styles to create them. If students have a choice in showing the knowledge they have obtained other than just testing it will help them have the ability to express in their specific style.

Creating and managing my own electronic portfolio will help me personally and professionally. For my personal use it will help me to stay organized by keeping what I have learned in one place. It will also help to show my growth as I continue on with my education. Professionally my portfolio will be available for administrators to have quick and easy access for viewing my thoughts, beliefs and work I have done in the past. As a teacher, managing my portfolio will help me to develop the skills needed to successfully use portfolios with my students as they develop their own portfolios.


1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.