Thursday, March 1, 2012

Week 7 - iGoogle - do you?


Lesson Plan Incorporating Technology
I chose to create a lesson plan using YouTube and creating a Podcast. I wanted to have the students create something that would be meaningful. I will start off the lesson by reading aloud Martin Luther King, Jr. and the March on Washington by Frances E. Ruffin. After reading and discussing with the class the impact the March on Washington had for today’s society the students will watch Martin Luther King Jr's speech "I Have a Dream" on TeacherTube. I will inform the students that they are going to get a chance to write and record an “I Have a Dream” speech about dreams they have for changes that could impact the future. The students will write their speeches by using the writing process (planning, drafting, revising, proofreading and editing). Once the editing has been done and reviewed the students will work in pairs and rehearse their speech with their partner. When the students feel comfortable reciting their speech, they will be creating a podcast using a microphone and recording software such as Jing and Screencast. When the student is finished, I will playback the recording for the student to hear. I will give the student a mini conference if needed about what the student can do to improve their speaking voice. The student will practice and then record a second time. When all the podcast are created I will upload the speeches on the class blog to share with each student’s family. I enjoyed thinking about ways to incorporate technology to make the learning fun and more meaningful for the students.













Both of the videos I watched are very powerful. Students of all ages are being taught by textbook and whiteboards/chalkboards. Students have technology in their lives daily whether it be a cell phone, iPod, iPad, laptop, or any other technology we use on a daily basis. In one of the videos the student stated that they bought an expensive textbook and don’t even open it. I have bought textbooks for over $100 and the instructor only had us read one or two chapters. I personally get more out of a class that does not use textbooks because they are so boring at times I have trouble staying awake. Webquest, and podcast given by the instructor are engaging and I enjoy the journey of being held accountable for my learning. Students need to be engaged by using the technology they use in life. Teachers should be engaging students by using technology but that is not happing like it should be. There are many third graders that have more technology skills than many teachers. Students are crying out to be engaged and being digital learners, educational technology is the answer to their cry, we need to hear them and respond.


1 comment:

  1. Vicki,

    You are right on about textbooks. By the time they are published, the information is outdated- especially when it comes to technology. Thus the reason I don't require one for this course. Your lesson sounds great! I like the incorporation of a variety of technologies for a meaningful lesson.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.